Gerber Collision And Glass - Total Rip Off

1.9
Turnaround Time

Do not have any body work done at Gerber Collision in Monroe, NC! You will have to pay again to have it done right by someone else who knows what they are doing!

I despise long, wordy reviews. I rarely even write reviews. But, in order for those of you concerned enough to want to know if this company is worth dealing with, I present the entire story for you here.

I own a Jeep Commander and I was involved in a minor fender bender in August of 2018. I decided to have the repairs done at Gerber Collision in Monroe since I have had work done there before the shop was sold to Gerber. They did get the work done in a timely manner albeit a few days later than was originally scheduled and the workmanship appeared to be good when I picked up the car. However, 4 months later, I notice a very large section ( Approximately 8” X 8”) of paint peeling off of the front bumper in sheets!

I took the vehicle back to them since the work is “supposedly” guaranteed. When I spoke to the young lady at the front desk, she immediately pulled the paper work and sheepishly said: “ Oh! This was done by Larry. He no longer works here.” I got the impression that this “Larry” guy had been a problem for the company. She looked at the bumper and then went inside to get one of the assistant managers to take a look. When entering his office, she again said to the manager: “This was done by Larry.” To which the assistant manager said: “oooh” confirming the original sentiment expressed by the young lady at the front desk.

The assistant manager then came out to look at the paint peeling from the bumper. He looked for several minutes, stood up, looked around and said: “This bumper has been hit”. He pointed to an area at the far side of the peeling paint, that, if someone completely ignorant of paint damage were to look at, might appear as minute scuff marks on the paint, not scratched, just very slight creases, but in reality, these were not scuff marks but folds in the peeling paint itself from blowing in the wind! He also pointed out a tiny surface gouge in the surface of the plastic of the bumper. I told him that that was probably done before the paint work was done. The bumper has never been hit or scuffed. When the mechanics are working on pieces such as this they are not always very gentle when moving the parts around. I know, I’ve worked in many different body shops over the years! It was totally obvious that the piece has not been prepared properly before the paint was applied.

He then said that he would have the manager give ma a call as he was not working that day. Several days go by and I hear nothing from them. So, I drive to their office and speak to the manager. The Manager, Kyle, pulled up the notes taken by his assistants from my previous visit and came out to take a look. He did basically the very same thing that his assistant manager had done and told me verbatim exactly what I was told previously. I began to explain to him of my many years in the paint and body industry in the hopes that he would realize that he was not dealing with a typical ignorant “general” customer. To no avail. Instead, he went into the office and found a dry rag with which to wipe away the water droplets ( it was raining) to try and find other damage that he could blame on me and the failure of his work. He found none. He continued to raise arguments regarding heat from being hit as the cause of the peeling paint. He danced around every conceivable excuse and argument that he could come up with. To the point where it became laughable to hear him! He absolutely refused to accept the argument that I was presenting regarding insufficient prep work. He had absolutely no concern for the value of customer service. Rather, his only objective was to defend himself in order to get out of taking care of his responsibility. And, unfortunately, that is exactly what he did. He flat out refused to acknowledge that there might just possibly be a bit of legitimacy to my argument and told me to take it up with my insurance company and walked away.

So, there you have it. Word of warning: If you want a good job done on your car, keep it far, far away from Gerber Collision in Monroe, NC.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gerber Collision And Glass Repair.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Very poor workmanship and customer service.

• Gerber Collision

Gerber Collision And Glass - Truck Repair Review from Livonia, Michigan

Horrible customer service. Has had my truck since June 20, 2016.

They did body work first and fail to check engine when I told them it had a noise after the accident. Now supposedly I need a new motor my frustration is that all this information should have been on orginal quote so my insurance is aware that we have to have a new motor. On top of all the body work. So they have a chance to total the car instead of paying for the body repair than finding out motor is bad now and needs to be repaired because you failed to address it.

I firmly believe that my insurance company would of totalled the vehicle if they where aware of the motor as well as all the body repair. Now it seems like I can't get any answers seems to me Jeremy dropped the ball on the over all estimate for my insurance company.

Now it seems kinda weird he no longer works there. Truck is still at shop.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gerber Collision And Glass Truck Repair.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Gerber Collision And Glass in Dunedin, Florida - Poor Quality Product & Customer Service

1.8

Update by user Aug 24, 2016

Update: Darryl the regional manager was in touch with me on 8/18/16 & agreed to replace windshield with another brand. The new windshield was installed on 8/22/16 by John who was much nicer than Jeremy, the previous installer.

The windshield is better than the previous but still is not the best quality. This one has a slight haze to it & mild distortions. I am not going to argue with these people anymore & will deal with what I have. Obviously Gerber Glass/Glass America uses all low quality after market windshields.

I doubt that I will get better from any other company.

That is the reality of workmanship today in my opinion. Beware when shopping for a new windshield.....

Original review posted by user Aug 17, 2016

Glass America (AKA: Gerber Glass & Collision) install a new PGW windshield on my Mazda 6 on July 11, 2016. I noticed a cloudiness/haze on this glass which distorts your view which is very annoying to say the least.

I called Glass America a few days later & they agreed to replace the windshield. On July 28, 2016 the windshield was replaced. At the time the windshield is sitting on the holding rack it seems fine but after I began to drive again, this windshield had the same cloudiness/haze. I am very disappointed in this glass.

I was told by the 2nd installer that my windshield replacement was an after market brand & any of the brands, no matter the cost would be the same. He said there is a solar liner that is placed between the 2 layers of glass that make up the windshield. I did some research online which said that PGW is one of the worst after market brands on the market. I read elsewhere online that others who've had PGW windshields have the same issue.

It is now August 17, 2016. I just had the installer out for the 2nd time. He once again told me that all windshields are the same & REFUSED to replace it. I told him I was not happy with his tone or his resolution.

He gave me his boss's phone number & told me to go to other glass companies & have my issues documented if they exist. I called customer service, told them what just happened, they said that they were going to send an email to the regional manager & he would call me today.

I have yet to hear from him or anyone else. Beware of PGW windshields & Gerber Glass.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gerber Collision And Glass Car Part Installation.

Preferred solution: I want a replacement windshield that does not have clarity issues like PGW......

I liked: Glass america call center based in illinois very professional, Chris p agent at il call center very professional and helpful.

I didn't like: Customer service or product quality, Clearwater florida customer service, Local glass america owner darryl poor customer service, Installer rude and unprofessional, Local owners refusal to honor warranties.

• Glass America
  • Gerber Collision
  • Gerber Glass

Comments

georgejm1
Dunedin, Florida, United States #1203054

I doubt that I will get better from any other company.